We meet with students throughout the junior year, focusing primarily on academic and extracurricular advising, as well as specific college admissions preparation. Meeting topics include: college list building, college visit preparation, standardized testing, summer planning, and the college application process.
Junior Academic Services:
- Mapping out the student’s junior and senior year courses. Determining which upper-division courses are valued the most in college admissions, and pointing out potential red flags in the student’s academic schedule.
- Evaluating college entrance exam scores (PSAT, PLAN) and generating a schedule for the SAT, ACT, and SAT Subject Tests, as well as a test preparation schedule.
- Helping the student to understand the importance of teacher evaluations in college admissions, and providing advice on which teachers to approach.
- Discussing potential academic majors in college and the importance of planning ahead when declaring certain majors.
Junior Extracurricular Services:
- Building a college résumé, including extracurricular activities, employment, community service, hobbies and honors/awards.
- Providing athletic recruiting advice on the athletic résumé, the athletic performance video, and appropriate correspondence with college coaches.
- Focusing on and developing the strengths and passions in the student’s list of extracurricular commitments.
- Generating a thematic through line for the student’s extracurricular and community service activities.
Junior College Admissions Services:
- Meeting with the student and parents to begin the college list-building process. Reviewing specific college expectations, goals, and needs.
- Building the student’s initial college list and demonstrating effective online research tools.
- Advising on college visits and appropriate communication with college admissions officers.
- Advising on the importance of “demonstrated interest” in college admissions.
- Preparing for the upcoming college application season, including: finalizing the college list, analyzing the transcript and test scores, polishing the college résumé, and reviewing the various components of the Common Application.